CAMPING / CABINS
(see also Other Accommodation Categories)
Requirements regarding camping in Hawaii vary by jurisdiction, island, campsite,
and facilities. The following information applies to the Island of Kauai. (There are no national
parks on Kauai.) Note: Camping information is subject to change without notice. Please contact
the applicable local office for current information.
STATE FOREST RESERVES
HAWAII STATE FORESTRY & WILDLIFE
(as at January 1, 2004)
Island of Kauai District Office
Dept. of Land & Natural Resources
3060 Eiwa Street, Room 306
Lihue, HI 96766
Tel. (808) 274-3433
Hours: 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Mon.-Fri. (Closed Weekends/State Holidays)
The following information applies to camping in Kauai's Forest Reserves. For more information,
please contact the above district office or visit their website.
- Campsites are open 7 days per week, all year.
- Tent camping only. Self-contained mobile campers are not allowed (hike-in
- Cabins are not available.
- Permits are required for all campsites and shelters. In order to process
a permit, the full names of all campers, the desired campsite, and dates requested is required.
- Applicants for permits must be age 18 or older.
- To obtain a permit, please contact the above district office.
- Maximum length of stay varies by campsite (see below).
- No fees are required - permits, campsites and shelters are free.
- Campsites/shelters are shared on a first come/first served basis.
- No commercial camping is allowed in Kauai State Forest Reserves.
- A folded two-sided Kauai Recreational Map scaled at 1:50,000 is available
for $5.00 at the above office or via mail. For mail order, please send a cashiers check or
money order in United States currency for $6.00 domestic or $7.00 for foreign mailings. Please
do not send cash, personal checks or loose stamps.
STATE FOREST RESERVES WITH CAMPSITES
NA PALI-KONA FOREST RESERVE (Campsites)
Located approximately 4 miles east of Kokee State Park headquarters on the Camp-10 Road. (A
4-wheel drive is required - road is often muddy and steep.)
- Kawaikoi Campsite: 3 acre open grass field surrounded by
Kokee plum trees and native koa and ohia forest. The Kawaikoi Stream flows next to the camping
area. Facilities include 2 picnic shelters, fire rings, and a composting toilet. No drinking
water - bring your own or treat stream water. Maximum length of stay is 3 consecutive nights.
(30 people maximum.)
- Sugi Grove Campsite: a shady campsite located adjacent to
the Kawaikoi stream across from the Kawaikoi Campsite. The area is named for the Sugi Pines
(Cryptomeria japonica), a Japanese Cedar, planted in 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
The Kawaikoi Stream Trail, which is one of the most scenic streamside trails in Hawaii, runs
1.75 miles upstream from the Sugi Grove campsite. Facilities include a single picnic shelter,
a fire ring, a composting toilet and space for several tents. No drinking water - bring your
own or treat stream water. Maximum length of stay is 3 consecutive nights. (10 people max.)
PUU KA PELE FOREST RESERVE (Campsites)
Great mountain streams and massive valley walls are part of the experience of camping in Waimea
Canyon. This is a wilderness area and access is listed as strenuous. Access to this area is via
the Kukui Trail, which descends 2,200 feet in 2.5 miles. The Kukui Trail starts at 0.75 mile beyond
mile marker 8 on Highway 550.
Note: The maximum length of stay at any of the following Waimea Canyon campsites is 4 consecutive
nights. There is a 30 people limit and permits will not be issued within a thirty-day period.
- Wiliwili Campsite: one small shelter, a composting toilet,
no drinking water.
- Kaluahaulu Campsite: one small shelter, a composting toilet,
no drinking water. Note: Kaluahaulu Campsite should not be accessed during stormy weather
due to dangers related to flash floods.
- Hipalau Campsite: one small shelter, a composting toilet,
no drinking water but stream water at this location can be treated for drinking.
- Lonomea Campsite: one small shelter, a composting toilet,
no drinking water but stream water at this site can be treated for drinking.